Monday, December 6, 2010

Pre-U or Poly; do we really have a choice?

Assalamualaikum...

First of all, i would like to highlight why did i write 'Pre-U' instead of just 'JC'. As a Madrasah student, of course, at the very least i do have some interests in the theologic. Well, no matter how much pressure being put on me regarding the limited jobs available for those taking up the theologic, i am still what i am.

Main reasons for having some kinda reluctance in pursuing studies at the national school i.e.(or specifically) JC or MI:-
  • The way of life. I wouldn't say life at JC is too social. It's just how they, i mean, as a multi-racial society, adapt to the surroundings. I know some of us, don't really care about being touched by the opposite genders, but just imagine, a guy or gal from a religious school, specifically Madrasah, being suddenly exposed to these kind of things. It will of course take a lot of courage for them to really adapt to the surroundings. 
  • The language used. Even in madrasah, we do still learn English, and yaa.. we still speak in english, where needed. I read in the Poly or JC website, everyone (in her JC specifically) seems to be speaking in English, even with their own races. Indeed this puzzles me. Shouldn't we be proud of our own mother tongue? What's more, issues regarding the use of mother tongue languages are 'rising'. People seem to be more contented upon speaking in English rather than their own languages.
I'm not saying we can't speak in English at all. Don't you think it is 'awful' to be able to speak in languages not our mother tongue's more fluent than our own languages? Shouldn't we adapt to the surroundings? For example, when speaking to the other races, speak in english, as it is the 'middle' language, or in other term, a lingua franca. However, speak in your language (i.e.: your mother tongue) when you're with your own races. Don't tell me you're gonna communicate with ur grandmother or grandfather in English ( in the case where they aren't able to speak in English)?

The title states 'Pre-U or Poly; do we really have a choice?' I wrote as such because indeed we may plan, but it is He who decides. Don't you think so? I mean, indeed we can study relentlessly and such, but sometimes, things just don't go our way.. Allahu A'lam.

Personally, i don't really have anything on my mind to be regard as an ambition or such. What i know is, I love to interact with people, know others' mind. Debating is one of my favourites. Thus, are there any suitable jobs that cater to all that i like? I don't think so. Therefore i think, any course, job is pleasant as long as we put our hearts into it. Sometimes we may not like it at first, but as time passes, we ourselves come to acknowledge it.
"Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know." - Al-Baqarah, Verse 216.
Polytechnics. Indeed everyone seems to like it. The way of life, no pressures(sure not??), no uniforms and most importantly, no 'strict' rules. Everything seems pleasant. But have you not heard of people dropping from what they called 'the freedom school'?

Hence, i really really don't think that there are any tertiary instituitions that are so relaxing in that sense. If everything is so relaxing, you wouldn't see people having difficulties in searching for a suitable job.hmm..

I am not comdemning any polytechnics or JCs. My intention of writing all these are to make those people and me myself realise what actually is a Polytechnic and Pre-U, and not merely wanting to go to that instituition because of what friends noted.

Frankly, i myself am not sure of whether to go to Polytechnics or Pre-U. Worst, i don't even know what i really wanna be in the near future. Till now, i just flipped thru the JAE booklet, hoping to see something that captures my heart. InsyaAllah.

Pre-U, JC, Polytechnics, ITE. You choose.

That's all for now. I hope my this writing may be a some sort of 'soul searching' in that sense, not just for you, but for me as well.
ps.: for those still having some sort of confusion, of whether to go to Poly(s) or JC(s), i would suggest you to go to this websitehttp://polyorjc.sg/
Assalaamu'alaikum.

No comments:

Post a Comment